Do you know what people are saying about you when you’re not in the room?
She’s an incredible speaker. He’s an immensely talented entrepreneur. He has everything that it takes to reach the pinnacle of his career.
But have you ever tried to define yourself?
Building a personal brand means telling the world who you really are and what it is that you stand for. It’s about influencing people’s perception of yourself and establishing your credibility as an expert or industry leader.
Ask yourself the following questions to further understand personal branding:
- What do you want to be known for?
- How do you want to show your magic to the world?
- How do you want people to talk about your business?
- What kind of an image do you want to build?
Personal branding is all about how your message aligns and relates to your ideal target audience at a specific time, which is why the art of storytelling is super important because it’s the driver of all businesses.Our personal brand consultants will help you shape your brands’ story.
Creating a personal brand can bring in numerous personal and professional benefits.
Do you know why Oprah Winfrey is a household name today? Because she has done a great job of establishing herself as a global media leader.
Another example is Elon Musk.
We don’t know Elon because of his contributions to creating groundbreaking business models like PayPal or Tesla. We know him as a visionary entrepreneur, as an individual who knows how to leverage innovation.
Our team at Skéveur , would like you to know the 10 primary reasons why building a personal brand is very important:
- You Gain Name Recognition
Wouldn’t it be nice for people to know your name without ever having to introduce yourself?
Think of Oprah, Trump, Tony Robbins, Steve Jobs, Elon Musk, Gary V, for example.
What comes to your mind when you think of these brands?
Our agendas or professions can be different. But we’re looking for the same thing: name recognition.
You’re already a brand. All you have to do is discover it within yourself.
We at Skéveur, help to establish why people should recognize your name. While you need to achieve exposure and high name recognition, it’s critical to tell your audience about your stance, philosophy, or objectives.
And this is where personal branding can come in handy.
Most people go to Google and type in whatever they’re looking for.
Let’s say you’re a business coach and your audience needs your services.
Creating a strong personal brand would drive your audience to go straight to your website or social media because they recognize your name and what you do. This can be achieved with a sustainable digital branding strategy.
- Your Ideal People Start To Find You
Everyone is struggling to get their share of attention on the internet. We know how difficult it is to find and attract ideal people despite the countless opportunities to connect.
As an individual, you can either go to your audience and tell them about yourself. Or, you can establish a powerful online presence to attract ideal people. You’re nothing unless you have a strategy to get people’s attention. This is where a personal brand consultant comes into the picture.
Let’s face it.
Getting your audience to pay attention is an uphill battle.
We see thousands of businesses have a website or social media profiles. But they have absolutely no clue why they’re unable to reach their audience or vice versa.
Personal branding is a powerful tool that helps you rise above the competition.
We want you to make your audience fall in love with your business. You can’t accomplish this goal unless you establish yourself as an authority.
- Automatically Builds Relationships For You
We can only have so many one-on-one conversations which makes us limited in the number of people we can actually reach and genuinely build relationships with.
Build a personal brand and begin to have fewer one-on-one conversations and more one-to-many conversations. Personal branding is successful when your people listen to you and interact with your content.
Unfortunately, many entrepreneurs and marketers are too busy to focus on personal branding. As a result, they fail to build relationships.
However, the lack of time can lead us to neglect key relationships.
If you want to amplify your relationship-building efforts, focus on your personal brand.
- You Become Exposed To A Larger Audience
We think it makes sense to stop waiting for people to stumble upon your social profiles or website. Just add a little magic to how you present yourself and get in front of your audience.
Here are some techniques to reach a larger but relevant audience:
- Use Facebook Ads: Organic methods don’t always work especially when you’re just getting started with building your personal brand. This is where Facebook ads can be of great help.
It’s tough to attract people on social media. However, when you create the right message and put it in front of the right people, it dramatically improves your chances of getting broader exposure.
- Create Lookalike Audiences: Building lookalike audiences is another great strategy to connect with new people. Facebook allows you to build lookalike audiences or show your content to people who just like your existing customers or audience.
- Write Blog Posts: Blog posts provide you with an opportunity to share your knowledge with the world and add value to whoever reads them. Neil Patel, for example, uses blog posts as a highly effective medium to connect with his audience worldwide.
- Create Videos: Video is a widely used form of content that makes it super easy for us to get our message across.
No matter what you do to communicate with your people, effective personal branding helps you produce better results across platforms using different marketing techniques which can be achieved with a well planned digital branding strategy.
Pro Tip: If one of your content pieces produces excellent results, consider spending some advertising dollars to further boost its reach.
- Build Trust And Confidence
Why do you think online reputation is so important? First, it creates trust. Second, it helps you establish credibility. And both of them are key elements when it comes to growing in a competitive environment.
Personal branding acts like a platform where you can easily build trust and confidence. It becomes easier for your clients or customers to be comfortable dealing with or doing business with you.
Since people don’t want to waste their money on poor quality products, they tend to trust brands that keep their promise and stand for something.
It’s not hard to understand that people are likely to do business with someone they like or trust. However, being a brand, you must establish first why people should trust you.
When you do so, instead of considering you as a last option, your potential customers will start seeing you as their first choice.
Again, why should people trust you? One easy way is to be genuine and authentic. You’ll experience a huge amount of growth after you start engaging with your audience in a way that can be trusted.
- You Become More Visible Online
Anyone can leverage new ways to market and operate. Unfortunately, so many businesses and individuals are stuck in their old ways because they’re scared of change.
Nothing can stop you from being visible online if you’re not scared of transitioning to digital marketing.
Here is what you can do to improve online visibility for your personal brand:
- Post at the right time: It’s not enough to just create the right message. You have to show it to the right people at the right time. While there’s no standard time when you must publish your content, you can choose times when your audience is more likely to be online. Look at your stats to determine when your content produces maximum engagement.
- Publish regular content: Consistency is key. Your branding success depends on your ability to be consistent and produce great content.
- Get active on social media: If you want to build your image, stand out in your niche, and establish personal identity, don’t miss out on social media. It’s a critical branding tool that gives everyone a chance to get their share of attention. So, get active on social sites that fit your business nature. Instagram, for example, is a recommended platform for people building personal brand identity.
- Optimize your content: Like other businesses, you need to optimize your content for search engines and your audience. While SEO best practices at Skéveur help you create search-friendly content, custom content engages the right people.
Personal branding is a manifestation of you on an individual level.
If you’re struggling to brand yourself, social media is where you should be focusing on.
- You Become More Memorable
Creating a brand identity isn’t limited to making your products/services memorable. It makes your brand more authoritative in the market.
Are you worth remembering? Or, why should people remember you?
Some of the leading personal brands are truly unforgettable.
Have you ever noticed that memorable people are great at attracting others?
It’s because they manage their impressions. We know from our previous article that first impression matters.
So be strategic when presenting yourself to the world. Your audience will remember you for what makes you valuable and unique. If you’ve nothing unique to offer, there’s no point in creating a personal brand in the first place.
Memorable personal brands like Steve Jobs exercise consistency in how they look and communicate. This is what makes them special and unique among others.
The day when your audience instantly recognizes who you are and what you stand for all based on your name or logo, you’ll become a memorable personal brand.
- You Become More Relatable
No matter your industry, you can either progress or cease business growth with the relationships you form.
As a leader, you should enable people to feel that you can relate to them or connect with them with ease. When you nourish relationships with the right people, you open up doors for positive interactions.
Do you know a relatable business person can easily win over powerful investors or make their employees do their best work? Likewise, a relatable salesperson can build sound relationships with potential clients.
Here is good news.
Relatability isn’t based on some preordained quality or charisma that is impossible to change. It’s a skill that can be developed over time. Here are habits that will help you cultivate this skill:
- Constantly network: When you attend an event or any sort of gathering, focus on expanding your network. However, make sure to understand the difference between pestering someone relentlessly and staying in contact. When you meet new people, try to offer something valuable or interesting.
- Be yourself: We often slip into a different identity, especially in a professional environment. Personal branding requires you to show your genuine self. So, make a conscious effort to be yourself with the people around you.
Don’t hesitate to speak your mind while being professional. You’re likely on the right track if you’re striving to bring value to your audience.
- Your Business Starts To Sell Itself
Once you get content out there and create a brand story people will start to see your content online and start to lean into your message and eventually turning them into raving fans making them loyal customers.
If your personal brand has failed to tell a story, it would become increasingly difficult to keep your audience engaged.
Building a true narrative is probably the most effective personal branding strategy.
So, craft a story around your brand that your people can relate to and engage with.
The next step is to figure out how to tell your story.
Well, you can write content or make a video to engage your audience on different platforms. Videos are the most personal way to communicate with an online audience.
When you masterfully craft your brand story, your business starts to sell itself. You simply rise above your competitors who struggle to get noticed.
- Build Consistency
A personal brand builds consistency in your tone, messaging, content, voice, and overall image.
If you look at the top brands in the world, they do not change how they look or their overall core values very often because that is what people have grown to trust, know, and love.
Take Mcdonald’s logo, as an example.
You can only be consistent when you have a narrow focus.
Isn’t it easier to get recognized for one specific topic if you create content around it on a consistent basis?
Most importantly, your personal brand promise must stay consistent across online and offline platforms. You have to demonstrate consistency across your appearance, communication, and gravitas.
Don’t undermine small inconsistencies as they can derail your personal brand effectiveness. Be consistent, both visually and personality-wise. Our personal brand consultants can help you excel at that.
Do something unique and exciting that people can fall in love with.
Consistency is critical whether you’re a wild, entertaining brand or one that’s a bit more conservative.
How To Build A Personal Brand
It was easy to point out the advantages of creating a personal brand. Skéveur can identify 100 more reasons why personal branding is essential to sustainable growth.
But how can you build a strong personal brand?
If you’re ready to create a personal brand, be sure to develop a powerful branding strategy.
If you don’t have the necessary tools or expertise or don’t know where to start, we’ll be happy to help.