Sonya Parker once said, “Almost everyone will make a first good impression, but only a few will make a good lasting impression.”
Do first impressions really matter?
First Impressions have the power of letting one make dispensable assumptions about an individual they might have crossed paths with, which may be inaccurate.
It takes just a quick glance, maybe seven seconds, for someone to evaluate you when you meet for the first time. In this short time, the other person forms an opinion about you based on your appearance, your body language, your tone, your demeanor, your mannerisms, and how you are dressed.
With every new encounter, you are evaluated and yet another person’s impression of you is formed. These first impressions can nearly be impossible to reverse or undo, and they often set the tone for the relationship that follows. Hence it is extremely vital to work on forming an efficacious first impression.
Don’t fret because at Skéveur, we offer various training programs wherein an individual learns the art of dressing, develops leadership qualities with our leadership development training, and encompasses behavioral patterns with self-confidence-building workshops.
It’s almost impossible to make every person you ever meet like you, that’s just part of life. Sometimes we’re just too different from one another and we don’t get on and that is fine. But it will make all the difference when you consciously bring your best self to make a good first impression, which can create opportunities, make new connections and open a lot of doors for you.
Not only can you make new friends and grow your network, but you could also be offered a great opportunity as a result – a business proposition, a job offer or a chance to meet with them again and form a lifelong bond. In business, making a lasting first impression can help you to make a sale or on-board a new client.
As Will Rogers rightly said, “You will never get a second chance to make that first impression.” Hence our team at Skéveur has a few suggestions for you to run through while moulding your personality to create the ideal first impression.
- Always be on time: Someone you are meeting for the first time will not be interested in your “good excuse” for running late. Plan to arrive a few minutes early, and allow flexibility for possible delays in traffic or taking a wrong turn. Arriving early is much better than arriving late, and is the first step toward creating a great first impression.
- Always dress for the occasion: Whether it’s an interview, blind date or business meeting, ensure you put your best foot forward, give it some thought and dress appropriately for the occasion. If you look good you’ll feel good too.
- Be polite no matter what: There is no real reason to be rude to someone, even if they don’t treat you with the same respect. Be the best version of yourself and inspire. You can always speak your truth with compassion.
- Be Authentic: Whether that’s a formal handshake or a relaxed hug (depending on the person and situation of course), being authentic and making a friendly, positive entrance will leave a lasting impression.
- A smile goes a mile: A smile will always go a long way as it is inviting and approachable. No matter where you are or what you’re wearing, a genuine smile is always your best accessory.
- Tailor your tone: It’s important to be able to read a situation and tailor your tone of voice and language accordingly. Use your experience, intuition and common sense to share your best self for the occasion.
- Be Courteous and Attentive: It goes without saying that good manners along with polite, attentive and courteous behavior help make a good first impression. In fact, anything less can ruin the one chance that you have at making that first impression. So be on your best behavior. Set aside modern-day distractions, for instance, by turning off your mobile phone so that you can give the person your full attention. And don’t get sidetracked by other people. After all, what kind of the first impression would you create if you are more interested in talking to someone else? Your new acquaintance deserves 100 percent of your attention. Anything less and you’ll likely make them feel unimportant or even irritated.
We hope the above 7 pointers by our team at Skéveur will help you use less than 7 seconds to create a magnificent first impression. We hope to have left a lasting one on you!